Building Film through Sound Design

When reading the articles about BB Radiophonic workshop and about the Theremin, I remembered something I watched on the Bonus features of the film Wall-E.

It is a small documentary, where the Famous Sound designer Ben Burtt ( Star Wars, and many other Science fiction films) describes how he gather sounds on the environment, by the use of machines many created by him and others by the old masters of sound effects in Disney. His inventions are quite similar to what we see in Luigi Russolo's inventions where by the power of electricity, metal and other materials the sound effects of a film are created.

I wont be able to embed the video here because it is not available but I will leave the links.
Interesting things:

Part 1- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A6z8QkVHk4

Part 2- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl7lFPZeIOE&feature=related

3 comments:

Ruben Martins said...

Also, he mentions his influences on the first sound designers for Disney Animation, such as Jimmy Macdonald, who once again created his own devices to simulate sounds of the environment.

Yolantele said...

This was so incredibly interesting.. I think I'll never hear the sound in animation in the same way :D

Does it count as a publihed source? It does, ain't it?..

Ruben Martins said...

yes I have the dvd for the bibliography:)

Post a Comment

top