Romanticism: What is it?

Before I get into the artist that I'm researching, I figured that I would do a post defining romanticism. Speaking of my own experience, this is the first time I have heard about this movement and this is to help me as well as others get my head around it.

To put it simply, Romanticism is a movement that covered all forms of media at the time (1795, so it covered Art and literature). The movement was a time for artists and authors to express themselves and not be stuck in reason or tradition. It emphasised the importance of feelings, imagination, self-expression and individual creativity.


The age of Enlightenment on the other hand was the time period before it. The age of enlightenment was all about reason. Reason was the main source of art and other media forms. It was an age of guidance. The leaders of the movement thought that they were leading humanity out of the dark ages. Romanticism was a return to imagination and creativity. Some of the pioneers of this age are the very artists that Ruben pointed out.

This is just a definition post to help me and any others. Point out if I got this completely wrong :)

5 comments:

Ruben Martins said...

Cool, Earl, I see your doing some research already.
Romanticism is one of the most remarkable art movements in history, not only broke boundaries in art but also , open the minds of many posterior movements, such as symbolism and surrealism. I would argue that is the foundation of Art in that era.

Yolantele said...

I think somebody ( me including) would do a great job to find what main values and ideas enlightment expressed

Ruben Martins said...

Surely, we have to highlight the age of the enlightment, with names such as Napolean, etc. In which Delacroix's painting was in response.

Yolantele said...

Look what I found :D :D

It was the romantics who first celebrated romantic love as the natural birthright of every human being, the most exalted of human sentiments, and the necessary foundation of a successful marriage. Whether or not one agrees that this change of attitude was a wise one, it must be admitted to have been one of the most influential in the history of the world.

this conviction which continues to shape much of our thinking about relationships, marriage, and the family found its mature form during the Romantic age.

Bluejetdude said...

I agree with you there Jolanta. The fact that the romantics pretty much put romance into the 'mainstream' has had a HUGE effect on the world.
I also think its funny that me and Ruben write posts pretty much about the same thing at the same time. Great minds think alike I guess.

Post a Comment

top